Monday, March 23, 2015

Aisle, I'll, or Isle?



Today, I was reading a recipe online and the writer was telling readers where they could find ingredients. She said in one sentence, “You can find it in the isle with the canned fruit.” This is incorrect so I thought this would be a good topic for my blog.  

A homophone is a word that is pronounced the same as another word but differs in meaning, and may differ in spelling. 

Aisle, I'll, and Isle...

These three words are often confused and especially for non-native speakers because they are all pronounced the same but have completely different meanings.

The noun aisle refers to a passageway or to a part of a church divided from the nave. For example, the aisle of a movie theatre or airplane.

“Would you like a window or an aisle seat?”

I'll is the contracted form of I will or I shall.

I’ll see you tomorrow!”

The noun isle refers to an island or a peninsula, especially a small one.
“The movie was filmed on the Isle of Capri.”

Circle the correct answer quiz: 

1. (Aisle – Isle – I’ll) be there by ten o’clock.

2. Look in (aisle – isle – I’ll) number three near the vegetable section.

3. Our flight goes to the (Aisle – Isle – I’ll) of Mann on Friday morning.

4. Okay, (aisle – isle – I’ll) speak to the teacher about Sam.

5. (aisle – isle – I’ll) be right back, Sue!

6. Someone dropped their ticket in the (aisle – isle – I’ll).

Dr Robert

Look for the answers in my next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment