Sunday, June 18, 2017

Practice in Turning Adjectives Into Adverbs



Practice in Turning Adjectives Into Adverbs
A Sentence Completion Exercise


Many adverbs are formed by adding -ly to an adjective. The adverb softly, for instance, comes from the adjective soft. (Note, however, that not all adverbs end in -ly. Very, quite, always, almost, and often are some of the common adverbs that are not formed from adjectives.)

Instructions

In each set below, complete the second sentence with the adverbial form of the italicized adjective in the first sentence. 

Here's an example:
Gus is usually a careful driver. He always drives carefully when children are in the car.
When you're done, compare your answers with those below.
  1. We live on a quiet suburban street. Even the dogs bark _____.
  2. This is a dangerous road. We're driving _____ close to the shoulder.
  3. My friend Alice is a polite young woman. She asked _____ if she could borrow my boyfriend.
  4. The clown made a deep impression on my daughter. His sad smile touched her _____.
  5. I apologize for my foolish behavior. Yesterday I acted _____ in class.
  6. Ferdinand's apology sounded sincere. He said he was _____ sorry for driving over your motorcycle with his tractor.
  7. I ordered a manual transmission. Are the windows operated _____?
  8. Shyla made a generous contribution to the Salvation Army. She gives _____ every year.
  9. This morning Gus had an accidental encounter with an ice cream van. He _____ backed his pick-up truck into the van.
  10. Marvin is a graceful infielder. He moves _____.
  1. This is an easy assignment. I expect to pass _____.
  2. Merdine is a brave woman. She _____ challenged the principal and the school board.
  3. There was a rapid change in the weather. The temperature dropped _____.
  4. I'm troubled by my brother's strange behavior. Yesterday I heard him talking _____ to our cat.
  5. My father is a cautious man. When everyone else is upset, he speaks softly and acts _____.

Answers to the exercise 

  1. We live on a quiet suburban street. Even the dogs bark quietly.
  2. This is a dangerous road. We're driving dangerously close to the shoulder.
  3. My friend Alice is a polite young woman. She asked politely if she could borrow my boyfriend.
  4. The clown made a deep impression on my daughter. His sad smile touched her deeply.
  5. I apologize for my foolish behavior. Yesterday I acted foolishly in class.
  6. Ferdinand's apology sounded sincere. He said he was sincerely sorry for driving over your motorcycle with his tractor.
  7. I ordered a manual transmission. Are the windows operated manually?
  8. Shyla made a generous contribution to the Salvation Army. She gives generously every year.
  9. This morning Gus had an accidental encounter with an ice cream van. He accidentally backed his pick-up truck into the van.
  10. Marvin is a graceful infielder. He moves gracefully when making a double play.
  11. This is an easy assignment. I expect to pass easily.
  12. Merdine is a brave woman. She bravely challenged the principal and the school board.
  13. There was a rapid change in the weather. The temperature dropped rapidly.
  14. I'm troubled by my brother's strange behavior. Yesterday I heard him talking strangely to our cat.
  15. My father is a cautious man. When everyone else is upset, he speaks softly and acts cautiously.
******

Our TEFLA Certificate Course (Teaching English as a Foreign Language to Adults) is completely different from our TEFL or TESOL courses. Adults learn very differently than children do. Adults need experience-related learning and this is what we teach you in our TEFLA course. Want to teach adults overseas? Click here to check out our 'rave review' course today!

No comments:

Post a Comment