Monday, May 26, 2014

Overseas Teaching Jobs Every Monday!

Well, here it is Monday again and I've got the latest teaching jobs for you:

Argentina[1], Australia[1], Azerbaijan[1], Brunei[1], Bulgaria[2], Cambodia[1], Chile[1], China[59], Czech Republic[2], East Timor[1], Ecuador[1], Egypt[1], France[1], Germany[3], Hong Kong[7], Indonesia[8], Italy[15], Japan[4], Kazakhstan[4], Kuwait[1], Libya[1], Malaysia[2], Myanmar[2], Poland[5], Portugal[1], Russian Federation[22], Saudi Arabia[15], Singapore[1], Slovakia[2], South Korea[5], Spain[41], Taiwan[1], Thailand[2], Tunisia[1], Turkey[5], United Kingdom[166], United States[2], Vietnam[5], Worldwide[16]

You can always find these on our website, too at Teaching jobs

Many people would like to teach but don't have a college / university degree. The problem is not always the schools but the immigration and labour laws of the countries. Take Thailand for example. Never mind the political problems they are having right now. It is still a great place to teach. Officially, you need a degree to teach in Thailand and rightly so. The country has a right to see that teachers are well-educated and appropriately trained. That is why our TESOL Certificate Course is so well received around the world.

First, your education credentials need to be approved by the Ministry of Education. They then issue a document to the Police Immigration Authority who issue you a temporary visa. You must then go to the Ministry of Labour to obtain a work permit.
When you have that, you go back to the Immigration office and they replace the temporary visa with a one-year visa. 

Of course, if the school that hires you has several or more foreign teachers, they will likely have a person who does all the running around for you...although the first time you go through the process, the authorities want to 'see your face' so you must go along. It is much easier the second time around and as I said earlier, Thailand is a wonderful place to teach generally. Stay away from the southern most provinces where there is unrest.

You can secure a teaching position in Thailand by following one of these methods:

1) Preferred method: Apply for teaching positions from your home country. Once a school indicates that it wants to hire you, they need to send you a letter so stating. You take that to the nearest Thai embassy or consulate with your passport and ask for a Non-Immigrant 'B' Visa. You must be ready to go because you will have three months to activate the visa or it becomes void.

The 'B' type is important because this allows you to work while your documents are being processed after arriving in Thailand. The one drawback with this method is that you don't get to see the school ahead of time but perhaps they can send you pictures or have a website you can visit.

A good reason to apply this way is that being hired from a foreign country, you can ask the school to include return airfare in your contract. They may agree to reimburse you for your travel. It may be payable after completion of several months or at the end of your contract. You can then negotiate the same deal for the following year if you stay with the school. Some schools may only agree to pay this every second year.

2) Alternate method:  You could travel to Thailand on a 30-day tourist visa, find a school and apply from within the country. This lets you see the school; meet the school officials; see the environment; meet the students and even talk with other foreign teachers. If hired, you would then have to leave the country with documentation from the school and go to the Thai Embassy in Vientiane, Laos to have your tourist visa exchanged for the Non-Immigrant 'B' visa. People often travel there on the weekend, go to the embassy Monday, pick up their visa Tuesday and return. There are a number of tour operators specializing in 'visa runs'. But this requires overnight travel in a van. If you are okay with that, fine. Otherwise, LAO Air flies from Bangkok to Vientiane every day. A problem with applying from within the country is that the school will consider you a 'local hire' and thus be reluctant to pay your return airfare.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Thailand and South Korea are two countries that require you to bring your original documents (diplomas and degrees). Photocopies will not suffice. South Korea accepts copied made and certified  in their overseas embassies. Thailand does not. 

Thailand also requires a letter from your local police stating that you do not have any outstanding warrants. Too many bad guys and gals have chosen Thailand as a place to hide out from authorities in their own countries. Fingerprinting of all tourists and other foreigners arriving in Thailand has just been instituted at the borders. Never mind - still a fantastic place to teach, learn and get in some serious beach time!

Don't have a degree? Click here!

Dr. Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment