Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Causative Verbs Have and Get



I'm going to talk about two causative verbs today - HAVE and GET because they are often interchangeable.

HAVE = give someone else the responsibility to do something

Grammatical structure:

  • HAVE + PERSON + VERB (base form)
  • HAVE + THING + PAST PARTICIPLE OF VERB

Examples of grammatical structure #1:

  • I’ll have my secretary call you to set up the appointment.
  • The businessman had his secretary make copies of the report.

Examples of grammatical structure #2:

  • I’m going to have my dog groomed on the weekend (at the weekend - Br. Eng)
  • We’re having our carpets cleaned this weekend.
  • Brenda had her hair cut short; she looks years younger!
  • My computer is broken; I need to have it fixed.

Note: Often, you can use get instead of have:

  • I’m going to get my dog groomed on the weekend (at the weekend - Br. Eng)
  • We’re getting our carpets cleaned this weekend.
  • Brenda got her hair cut short; she looks years younger!
  • My computer is broken; I need to get it fixed.


GET = convince/encourage someone to do something

Grammatical structure:

  • GET + PERSON + TO + VERB

Examples:

  • How can we get all students to be in school before the bell?
  • I can never get my wife to iron my shirts!
  • I am afraid of sharks but my friends got me to go for a swim in the sea.
  • I was able to get a local band to play free at our dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment