Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Hugs make it all worthwhile

As a teacher, we see many students. As they move on, we hope that while we were teaching them, they learned what they need to know to move successfully onto the next phase of their life. Most times, we never see them again but occasionally we are lucky enough to run into them.

One day, my wife and I were in the food court of a major shopping mall. I noticed one of my former students,  Cindy, with her dad. I had not seen her for a couple of years. She noticed me as well and came running over to say hello and give me a big hug. Nice to be remembered.

I had another student who had earned a scholarship to study in English in a Japanese university. She was s tutorial student and needed to learn essay writing. After our lessons were over, she renewed for another session. At the end of that she went to Japan to begin her tertiary studies. A few months later, she she was back on a school break, she made a point of coming to see me to thank me for instructing her.

It is gratifying to know that, as a teacher, you can make a difference in the lives of many children and adults.
I have had students who have gone on to become successful popstars.
I had a student who went on to win the title of Miss Tourism Thailand.
I mourned a student who, along with five friends, died in a car crash.

As a teacher, these are things that touch your heart.

A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.
 
That quote from Henry Brooks Adams makes you think, doesn't it? Teach a student well and who knows where the future of that student may lead.  Good, enthusiastic, inspiring teachers are needed everywhere in the world. Click here to read more about teaching overseas.

Dr. Robert Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment