As a new teacher in an overseas school, here are some things you need to find out:
- What classes will you be teaching?
- What is the level of comprehension of the students?
- What textbooks will you be using?
- Is there a Teacher’s Book with the text?
- What support equipment does the school have? CD/DVD Player? TV? LCD projector and large screen? Computer access? Internet access?
- Additional resources?
- Will the school pay for some additional material if needed? They may not but it’s worth asking when you get there.
Also, see if you can get a copy of last year’s lesson plan.
Speak with another English teacher if there is one.
Where can you find additional, local resources? Book store that carry English books?
Is there a local English newspaper?
How about a special newspaper for students? Some cities have them. Bangkok has at least two plus two English newspapers!
This will give you a lot of information. You may not use it all right away but it will be helpful once you have had a chance to get to know the classes and figure out what else you could use to teach.
Got your TESOL certification?
Return to Sunbridge Institute of English website
Visit my other blogs: